Home insurance at Christmas
Christmas is fast approaching and everyone is busy buying presents, planning parties and stocking up on festive food and drink. But what happens if something goes wrong – can your Home Insurance help to protect all your hard work?
John Brady, Head of Commercial at John Lewis Insurance, looks at how a good home insurance policy can cover you at Christmas.
Q & A with John Brady
Q. Why is home insurance so important, particularly at this time of year?
A. Home insurance is designed to protect both the buildings and contents of your home. During the winter, cold conditions and harsh weather can cause a lot of problems. That’s why it’s reassuring to know that if something does go wrong in your home, John Lewis Home Insurance provides cover for loss or damage caused by storms, fire, flood, subsidence, theft or other specified causes.
Plus, with all the money we spend on gifts at this time of year, knowing that they could be protected if you take out John Lewis Contents Cover and Accidental Damage Cover could help give you extra peace of mind.
Q. How can home insurance protect my Christmas gifts?
A. If you have John Lewis Premier Cover, your carefully chosen Christmas gifts are protected automatically by our Contents Insurance.
If you have John Lewis Plus Cover, for one month before and after Christmas (and any other recognised religious festival, wedding or birthday), gifts are automatically covered up to £7,500 by our Contents Insurance.
With all the money people spend over Christmas, it’s reassuring to know that John Lewis Home Insurance can help protect you.
Q. What about all the extra food and drink I’ll be buying?
A. Once you’ve done all your shopping, if your food or domestic purchases are lost or damaged on your way home, we could pay up to £1,000 towards replacing it if you have our Premier Cover. Plus, if frozen food gets damaged in your freezer due to an accidental change in temperature we can provide cover to replace it.
Q. If I’m having a party, are my guest's belongings protected in any way?
A. To make things a little easier, our Premier Cover includes cover for loss or damage to your visitor’s belongings up to £2,500.
Q. Can my home insurance protect me against the effects of bad weather?
A. Colder weather and longer nights can mean that problems like burst pipes and break-ins increase during the winter. While home insurance can’t stop these things happening, it can help lessen the impact. Make sure you’re covered for these kinds of issues and if it’s offered by your provider, a home emergency service is also a good idea.
John Lewis Home Insurance offers Home Emergency Cover so if something goes wrong, we could find a reliable tradesperson and pay up to £1,500 towards parts and labour on our Premier Cover.
Home Emergency Cover is included as standard with our Premier Cover and you can include it as an optional extra with our Plus and Essential Cover.
Q. What else should I look out for in a good home insurance policy?
A. Home insurance policies differ in the cover they provide and the price you pay for them. Here’s a few things to look out for:
- Check you won’t be underinsured – It's important to make sure that your buildings and contents are covered up to the right amount.
- Think about Accidental Damage Cover - Accidental Damage Cover protects you in the event of a one-off mishap, such as a DIY disaster or a shiraz spilled on your carpet.
- Does the policy include cover for emergencies? – If there’s an emergency in your home, like a burst pipe, you might need help straightaway. John Lewis Home Insurance can provide Home Emergency Cover service that you can call for help and advice. Home Emergency Cover is included as standard with our Premier Cover.
- Make sure your belongings are safe outside the home - Many home insurance policies offer cover for this, but do check the limits as some can be disappointingly low. John Lewis Home Insurance can provide worldwide unspecified Personal Possessions Cover of up to £25,000 with our Premier Cover.
- Look at the policy details - A good quality home insurance policy will give you extras as standard. As an example, our Premier Cover offers Matching Sets Cover so if your sofa is damaged and we can’t find a matching replacement, we could replace the whole set so it still looks great.
We have carefully selected Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc to underwrite John Lewis Home Insurance.
Terms, conditions, limitations, exclusions and eligibility acceptance criteria apply.
John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England (No. 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. John Lewis Home Insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No. 93792). Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 202323). Calls may be recorded and monitored.