Skip to navigation
Skip to main content
Skip to footer

To give you the best and most secure online experience possible, our website uses cookies. Continue to use the website if you're happy with this, or find out how to manage cookies.


If you're a gardener, you'll know how easily your plants and vegetables can be affected by the weather. A few months with little or no rain can stop your horticultural plans in their tracks. 

But dry weather and insufficient rainfall doesn't only affect gardeners, it can also cause subsidence.

John Brady, Head of Commercial at John Lewis Insurance, discusses how subsidence could affect your home.

Q & A with John Brady

Q. What’s your background and what experience do you have in providing advice about Home Insurance?

A. I've worked in financial services for 20 years, including banking, credit cards and insurance. The last five have been spent at the John Lewis Partnership, where I’ve helped to launch and develop John Lewis Insurance, including our personal insurance cover for cars, weddings, pets, events, travel and of course, homes.

Q. What is subsidence?

A. Subsidence is often a result of changing levels in moisture, usually when the soil is too dry or ground water levels drop. If there is a lack of moisture the ground underneath a building can move downwards unevenly, causing cracks in the walls, floors and ceilings.

Faulty drains leaking water can also lead to subsidence as the ground beneath your home can be washed away or softened.

Tree roots, particularly during a state of drought, can encroach beneath the foundations to suck the moisture from the soil.

Q. Are there other types of ground movement I should know about?

A. Yes, there’s also heave, which is where the ground swells, causing your home to move upwards, and landslip, where your home creeps down a slope over a period of time.

Q. How can I tell if subsidence has affected my home?

A. The way that most people can tell if their home is affected is when they notice large, diagonal cracks in the wall.

Quotation MarksOwning a home is something that many people look forward to. Despite keeping your property well-maintained, the unexpected can happen.Quotation Marks

Cracks are quite common in new builds and extensions, so don’t panic unless these cracks are visible both inside and outside and are more than 5mm wide.

These cracks are more likely to appear near the weaker areas of your home, such as around the doors and windows. Once cracks appear in your walls, movement in the structure of your house may also cause windows and doors to stick.

Q. What can I do about subsidence?

A. If you think your home has been affected by subsidence, then the first thing to do is contact your insurance provider. The sooner you inform your insurer the better, as it can reduce the severity of the claim.

Your insurance provider will send a specialist to your home to examine your property and analyse their findings. It’s unlikely that anything will happen straightaway as subsidence often needs monitoring for up to a year to ensure the best outcome.

There are several solutions for subsidence:

  • Removal or pruning of trees
  • Repair of drains
  • Repair of brickwork
  • Underpinning

Q. Are there any preventative measures I can take?

A. It’s important to take good care of any property you own, particularly if it’s built on clay soil which is affected by moisture. There are several things you can do which can help you to avoid subsidence:

Please note that if you are not currently a John Lewis Insurance customer and your home has had subsidence, we're unable to offer you Home Insurance. 

We have carefully selected Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc to underwrite John Lewis Home Insurance.


Terms, conditions, limitations, exclusions and eligibility acceptance criteria apply.

John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England (No. 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. John Lewis Home Insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No. 93792). Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 202323). Calls may be recorded and monitored.

Related articles

What effect does the weather have on things like your home or travel insurance?

John Brady, Head of Commercial at John Lewis Insurance looks at some of the issues extreme weather causes and how you can prepare.

Remember the staycation – the stay-at-home holiday that was all the rage a year or two ago? The idea was to beat the economic blues by taking a vacation in the UK.

As time goes by, every home and its contents will need maintenance. Read our top tips for keeping your home in a good state of repair.