Skip to navigation
Skip to main content
Skip to footer

To give you the best and most secure online experience possible, our website uses cookies. Continue to use the website if you're happy with this, or find out how to manage cookies.

Home Emergency optional cover

If there’s an emergency in your home, you might need help straightaway. If your Home Insurance includes our Home Emergency Cover, call us and we'll send a reliable tradesperson to come and fix the problem. We'll also include up to £1,500 towards parts and labour with our Premier Cover.

Home Emergency Cover is included as standard with our Premier Cover and you can include it as an optional extra with our Plus and Essential Cover.

Last winter, we saw a dramatic increase in the number of calls to our Home Emergency call centre. So, because we know that severe weather puts our service under more pressure, we try to prepare for it as best we can.

The good news is that by taking a few simple steps now you can help prevent many home emergencies before they happen.

Typical examples of home emergencies are:

  • burst internal pipes or leaking radiators
  • blocked drains or sewage pipes, if they are causing damage to the property
  • leaking roofs
  • broken or damaged windows that mean the property isn’t secure
  • vermin inside the property.

Here’s what we do:

  • We increase the number of staff in our call centres so your call is answered as quickly as possible.
  • We prepare our call  centres for extreme weather. This includes arranging staff to work from home and even  4x4 vehicles to get people to work.
  • We increase our network of tradesmen so there’s more people to help you.

It’s worth bearing in mind that while we always do our best, we may not be able to fix the problem on the first visit. For example, a broken boiler may need a specific part that we need to source for you. However, we’ll always do what we can to help during the time it takes to complete the repairs.

Please also recognise that during periods of extreme weather we may take longer to get to you.

Here’s what you can do:

  • Check all taps for leaks and locate the main pipe to the water mains. If you leave home for more than a few days, ideally you should turn off the water and drain the pipes to help prevent water freezing and the pipes bursting.
  • Clean your gutters: this will make sure they don’t get blocked or overflow.
  • Check your radiators: and bleed regularly to remove any air.
  • Inspect your locks and any burglar alarms - and consider using lighting timers for that lived in appearance.
  • Be prepared: get a small home emergency kit together including a small toolbag, a radiator key, matches, a fire extinguisher, a torch, handy telephone numbers.
  • Inspect your roof for missing or cracked tiles. If repairs are needed, get the experts in.
John Lewis Home Insurance homepage

Looking for more information
about Home Insurance?
Find out more here

Get a Home Insurance quote

We have carefully selected Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc to underwrite John Lewis Home Insurance.

Terms, conditions, limitations, exclusions and acceptance criteria apply.

John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England (No. 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. John Lewis Home Insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No. 93792). Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 202323). Calls may be recorded and monitored.

Related articles

If you’re looking for Home Insurance it can be a difficult process as absolutely everyone seems to be offering it. Do you go with your supermarket, bank or estate agent? How do you know what’s best for your home?

Burst water pipes can cause thousands of pounds worth of damage to your home. Here's what to do if it happens to you.

One in five households in the UK are underinsured, how can you protect your house and make sure you don’t underestimate it's worth? 

Ou Expert looks at valuing your home and contents and picking the right policy for you.