Skip to navigation
Skip to main content
Skip to footer

To give you the best and most secure online experience possible, our website uses cookies. Continue to use the website if you're happy with this, or find out how to manage cookies.

Protecting student possessions

Growing up is never easy

For a parent, sending your children out into the big wide world to university can be a stressful experience. Will they eat properly? Are they settling in?

For a student, going to university is the next step of their life; a time to flee the nest, have fun and grow up.

Amidst the excitement of packing up their belongings and planning Freshers’ Week, insuring treasured possessions is often forgotten.

The clothes they stood up in

Students have a lot of stuff. Apart from laptops and speakers, there are the ‘essential’ culinary items (such as the garlic press, blender and gourmet kitchen knives) they just had to have, guitars, fancy-dress costumes and text books.

Perhaps not a burglar’s dream haul, but a lot of students’ possessions are worth quite a bit of money and often have irreplaceable sentimental value.

As part of the preparation to move out, it’s worth making a list of all their personal possessions, that way, if the worst does happen, they won’t have to panic about trying to remember how many pairs of shoes they own.

Why do students need to be prepared?

According to a study by The Complete University Guide on crime in university cities, burglary is by far the most common crime experienced by university students. 

University accommodation is often less well-protected than normal housing and thieves know that most student houses will contain several bicycles, televisions and sound systems. Students walking home late at night are also a prime target, as bags and pockets often contain valuable items such as mobile phones, MP3 players and laptops.

With the cost of university tuition fees constantly increasing, the last thing you or your teenagers want to do is have to replace expensive lost, damaged or stolen items.

How can John Lewis Home Insurance help?

If your offspring are heading off into the big wide world, it’s likely that they’ll still go home to Mum and Dad for the holidays. Not only does this give you the chance to fatten them up with home-cooked food, it also makes protecting student possessions much easier.

John Lewis Home Insurance offers optional Student Cover. This means that students who normally live at home outside of term time will be covered at university, up to the value of their parents’ Home Insurance policy.* However, theft cover at the term time premises will be restricted to forcible and violent entry, up to a value of £5,000.

Our Home Insurance also includes Personal Possessions Cover** to give you peace of mind while your teenager’s out and about. If your son or daughter’s bag is stolen, our possessions protection covers valuables including cameras, student railcards and credit cards.

By insuring your son or daughter’s possessions, you can spend less time worrying about your offspring leaving home and your teenagers can use their student loan for more important things. 

John Lewis Home Insurance homepage

Looking for more information
about Home Insurance?
Find out more here

Get a Home Insurance quote

We have carefully selected Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc to underwrite John Lewis Home Insurance.

*Terms, conditions, limitations, exclusions and acceptance criteria apply. 

** Included at standard on our Premier Cover and optional on our Essential Cover and Plus Cover.  

John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England (No. 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. John Lewis Home Insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No. 93792). Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 202323). Calls may be recorded and monitored.

Related articles

Starting University often means young people get a first taste of independence: moving into a new house, with basics to be bought and valuables to be protected. Home insurance can take care of your kin's belongings even when they fly the nest.

One thing you already know is that university education is expensive. A generation ago, there were no tuition fees and maintenance grants. Now students can end up owing nearly £54,000 after a three year course – roughly half in tuition fees and the rest in living expenses.

The housing market needs first time buyers if owner occupation is to continue as the dominant mode of home ownership.

But crossing that first threshold with your own keys is tougher than it was. Property prices in some areas have greatly outpaced earnings.